St. Stephen's Green was enclosed in 1664. The 9 hectare (27 acre) park was laid out in its present form in 1880. Landscaped with flowerbeds, trees, a fountain and a lake, The Green is dotted with memorials to eminent Dubliners. The 1887 bandstand is still the focal point for free daytime concerts in summer.
St. Stephen's Green is a 27 acre park in the heart of Dublin city centre. The park is located on the top of Grafton Street and is a popular lunchtime retreat for many of the office workers in the area. It was originally an open public ground until 1663 when the Corporation fenced the area off. The Green was then sold and the ground was closed to the public. It was during this time that the Georgian houses around the Green were built.
The Green remained private ground until 1877 when Sir A.E. Guinness, a member of the Guinness brewing family, pushed an act through Parliament making the Green open to the public once again. He later paid for the laying out of the Green including the gardens and the ponds which date from 1880.
The park has many statues including memorials to Yeats and also to James Joyce. Also present are the Three Fates, a group of bronze female figures watching over man's destiny.
People's Art Dublin is a voluntary, part time, non profit making group, brought together by Dublin City Council to promote the visual arts to the public of Dublin. Each year after expenses are paid, donations are made to various charities.
Live bands, artists and more this coming summer at St. Stephen's Green be sure to check our Facebook Page for Updates